Tuesday 19 June 2012

Monday June 18th.  Foel-Fras from Abergwyngregyn


This has the benefit, for me, of being able to drive there, climb it and drive back in the same day!  Okay, it's not in Scotland but it does breach the required height, it is a separate mountain and was the final Welsh 'Munro' I needed to climb.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/190553089

I took a guide downloaded from a Snowdonia site with me and followed the route but quickly found I'd gone a bit wrong.  Either the expected sign pointing the way up Drum from the Roman Road path was missing, or I'd missed it.  Either way, it was very clear so no problem, dead-reckon the way up and aim for that ridge.  It was a bit wet underfoot but that's to be expected.  I also like the wildlife you get in this part of the world that you don't see on the flanks of Scottish mountains; horses!  Lots of them too.

Ridge between Drum and Foel-Fras


Reach a welcome ridge in Scotland and you still have an enormous amount of work to do.  Reach this ridge, and it's a pleasant grassy stroll to the summit!

Track to Foel-Gras

Excellent spot for some dinner


Snowdonia

Summit, Foel-Fras

It was a pleasant day and the views from this summit were excellent.  It was tempting to stay here all day and enjoy the scenery but unless you bring a tent or bivi, you've got to leave sometime.  Rather than follow the usual path, I decided to just head straight down to a point above the Aber falls and this proved to be very easy, very quick and very direct.  

Aber falls









No comments:

Post a Comment