Thursday 28 June 2012

The 'easiset' Munro?



Day 3.  Carn Aosda (Ancient Hill) 917m/3008' 270


http://connect.garmin.com/activity/193396278

I'm not making any excuses for an easy one.  My legs were tired from the previous few days' climbing but even so, an appearance of the elusive sun might have tempted me to be more adventurous.  As it was, the day was miserable with pouring rain and thick black clouds scudding over.

From my back window

So I decided to go up to Glen Shee and at least familiarise myself with Glen Clunie.  I had read of the height of the road at this point being a huge advantage to an ascent of the many Munros in the area.  With a dowsing being inevitable, I jumped out of the car and reckon on a clear day, you could run up and down this one in about 30 minutes.  It would also be possible to grab all three of the Munros here in about 90 minutes, the central one, The Cairnwell estimated to take as little as 30 minutes to walk this on its own!  

As it was thick low cloud though, I needed to wear waterproof gear and boots and take a map but this wasn't necessary even on a day like this.  There's a big ugly bulldozed track right the way to the summit so I won't write too much about this mountain as there's nothing worth going over.



 Summit, Carn Aosda


A sometimes typical Scottish day



No comments:

Post a Comment