Thursday 28 June 2012

Another Munro raid.


Day 1.  Carn a' Chlamain (The hill of the Kite) 963m/3089'.  188


http://connect.garmin.com/activity/193396352

The drive up to Blair Atholl saved me the long, interminable journey around Loch Lomond.  From there, a short drive up to the old Bridge of Tilt brings you to the car park right at the entrance point of the private road that runs through Glen Tilt.

Bike loaded and ready to go


My (t)rusty bike took me along the really lovely river Tilt which was running fairly high with its peaty brown cascade dropping down through many rock pools.

Bridge over River Tilt

It was a good day and the hills looked very enticing.  My goal for today was on my left (north) while tomorrow's targets were on my right (south)

Glen Tilt with Carn a' Chlamain ahead

There are some really nice cottages en-route and after about five miles, the cottage of Marble Lodge is reached.  From there, I hid my bike in some undergrowth as this would be where I would return back to the road. 

Bike hidden in trees

After stowing the bike, it's a pleasant walk of about two miles on the flattish road (more of a dirt track) to Forest Lodge.  From a point adjacent to the last building of the property, a well-constructed Stalker's Path rises high up onto a broad crest of a ridge.  Once there, the unmistakeable shape of Carn a' Chlamain beckons ahead. 

A very well constructed track rises to just below the summit.

While these hills may not be as scenic or as attractive as their western counterparts, there is no shortage of them!  The profusion of hills all around goes on and on into wilder country.  One noticeable thing is the number of bothies.  Some of these mountains are a long, long way from any road or habitation so the bothy network could be used to good effect to enable walkers and climbers to get within striking distance of some of the more remote outliers.  

Approaching summit

Looking at tomorrow's hills from summit

So from there it was a very easy descent back to the Marble Lodge as it is gently graded with no steep drops or rocky ground to navigate.  I was thinking it may be better to do it this way round, clockwise, as opposed to the anti-clockwise way I'd gone about it.  The only other people I'd seen that day were a Glaswegian couple descending the way I'd gone up but they told me they'd have preferred my way!  The other man's grass, and all that.  







No comments:

Post a Comment